25 August 2003

Whats in a Name?

Whats in a name? As you will notice I go by the monicer Lion's Cub, or just The Cub for short. Why do I do this? Well first let me say I date back to an era of computing before internet, before cable Modems, when 9600 bps was considered fast. Back then it seemed everyone hand a handle or screen name online. Some did it to hide, and still do. Some are hackers and crackers, and virus makers. I am a hacker of the old school. Back when the term didn't necessarily have an evil or criminal conotation to it. Back then it ment someone, anyone who really wanted to know how a computer worked.

I must also confess to a slight case of paranoia. Maybe its deserved and maybe its not. There are people in my life who may come across this website who simply would not understand. The do not understand Depression or Mental Illness. During a recent hospitalization several of us discussed the idea of changing the name of Depression. People think, "Your just sad, get over it and get on with life." If I had a nickle for everytime I heard that going back to my teen years I would not have money problems. There are also those who do not believe that Mental Illness can affect Christians. They like the Pastor I just heard about in Milwaukee, Wisconsin make struggling with this disease even more difficult.

Ok I mentioned this pastor, and for those of you who do not know the story here it is in a nut shell. A child suffering from Autism was taken by his parents to this church. I do not know the name of the church. They had a prayer meeting to cast out the demons who were causing his autism. Long story short the boy is dead, the pastor is in jail. Scenes like this not only give all of Christianity a bad name, they make my blood boil. The mind can be effected and affected by illnesses just like the body. I no more have a Demon because I have Depression, then I do if I have a cold. I will not go into what I think should be done to this pastor, because to do so would definately not show a proper Christian attitude. Don't even get me started on the so called "Faith Movement."

Anyway I had one pastor recomend, and send me off to a "Christian Rehabilitation Program." The program was designed to meet the needs of hard core street drug addicts. I come from hickville Wisconsin, and know nothing of city street life. Besides I have never had problems with Drugs or alchohol, I chose to self medicate my Depression with sexual stimulation. [More on that probably later.] The program told me I was Depressed because I was sinning, and if I quit sinning I woudn't be depressed anymore. The programs doctor took me off my medications. Life has NEVER been the same since. I saw and heard things in that program I wish I never had. So I choose to hide, and stay a little anonymous. It is not total saftey, but it is a little safety.

The name, is of simple deriviation. One of my favorite authors is C.S. Lewis. He wrote a series of books called the Chronicles of Narnia. Aslan the main character in the books is a Lion. He is the type and symbol of Christ through the books. Jesus Christ is described as the Lion of Judah. Since Jesus Christ is God, and I am God's child as well then I too must be a lion, or as the name says a Lion's Cub.

Anyway that is what is in a name, and why I choose the name I do. I also use it to play online games, so if you see TheCub or LionsCub around that just might be me. Say hi, and if it is just ask me what Aslan is doing in my life lately and I will know you have read this. And if you know me in the real world, please there are some secrets that just need to be kept, at least for a while.

No comments: