03 March 2004

Raising a Modern-Day Knight

Raising a Modern-Day Knight. I found this article interesting since I was going to touch on the subject matter anyway. With me working nights it has been ever increasingly more difficult to do the things that I used to with my DS. I was up to this job VERY active with the local cub scout pack. This year is his last year of Webelos. He moves up into Boy Scouts next in a couple of months. Up until this year I was his Den leader and my DW helped as an assistant DL. However this year I have had to push most if not all the DL responsibility onto my DW. She has handled it gracefully, but I know it was not a role that she really wanted.

I wonder some times if it is too late. You see DS and I have our differences. It is difficult for his 12 year old mind to understand his own ADHD, let alone his Dad's Bipolar. Most of the time he sees me as the disciplinarian, the one who yells alot. I really do not want to have that define our relationship, and scouts was one way that we were reconecting. I am hoping that will start to change with Boy Scouts. It is a balancing act to know how much he wants my involvement and how much he wants independence. I'd like to see how he does with a different leader other then his Mom and me. My thought at present is to take a year off and re-enter the cub dens at a tiger (first grade) level, even thoiugh we have no boys in that group.

I wish there was an easy answer. I think about my own relationship with my father (or lack there of) alot. I am trying to be the best father and husband I can with little or no practicle example to follow. That is however a subject for a whole new post.

No comments: