29 September 2003

What a Ride

Times they are interesting. This has been on wild ride of a week and a half. Not sure where to begin so much has happened. First off I am home from the hospital, as is probably evident by the fact that I have returned to writing in this Blog. Things have been very interesting that is for sure. Well the doctor at the hospital put me on three different medications acting as mood stabilizers along with the anti depressant I was on. Things really were looking up. I had taken a text book along to do some study on some programming for the web, and I made it through 6 chapters in a week and understood it. I was just starting to get things turned around a corner and then it hit. That point beyond which insurance companies start balking about the length of your stay. Well I have always said it is amazing how much better you get when the Insurance doesn't want to pay.

Anyway we had been talking discharge anyway but this just rushed things. AG our oldest daughter seems to really resent the fact that I got to come home at all. At least that is how she is verbalizing these days. I know that she is just lashing out at what she doesn't understand at what she doesn't know but it hurts so much when she does. But discharge was inevitable and we tried to prepare as best as we could. My doctor basically said that he was not willing to go toe to toe with the insurance company doctors in order to get us any extra time. After discharge the insurance company also dropped coverage on one of my meds. The combo as I said above worked well for me, minus the one med It gets me no where. Ok if I take my meds at about 10:00 pm by about 7 pm the next day I am awake and alert enough to function. That time frame is sped up with the third med (the one they will not cover). Then to top it off I get a letter from the insurance company telling me how important follow up appointments are. No problem there, until the letter goes on to chastise me for not making any follow up appointments to date. The letter stated they expected at least two. That would not be a great big thing either if it were not for the fact that to date (the date on the letter) was the same day as my discharge date.

Monday is better then Friday, at least after an appointment with a Psychiatrist who has half a brain. No it is not the brain that is malfunctioning it is the bedside manner. Here is another kicker for you. When the prescribing psychiatrist was asked to intervene with the insurance company his response was if they won't cover it then he doesn't need it. Damn why and the hell did he prescribe it for me then.

Anyway as I said Monday is better then Friday. Now I just need to get my return to work situation straightened out. My current doc only wanted to do a week at a time for the leave. This puts me smack dab into inventory, and med changes and adjusting to new meds and switching from a daytime schedule to a 3rd shift schedule again. Too much to tackle at once.

To be brutally honest this hospital stay was so much better then the one I had in March of this year. If I could just take the doctors from that hospital and exchange them for the doctors at the hospital, with the food from the first hospital I went to you would have the perfect psych ward. As a general rule the staff was wonderful, they met my needs, explained things to me and did a wonderful job.

Well I am home, and for now there will not be a need for a partial day program. Now I just have to make that appointment for a therapist. I just hope the Blogs 2nd monthly birthday is a little less adventurous.

On a personal note feel free to log in and share the fact that your reading my meanderings in the guest book. You don't even have to use your real name if you don't want to.

No comments: